Thursday, May 31, 2007

Akua's adventures in volunteering

Sorry for the gap in posting: the electricity was out yesterday because of the rationing, and the day before because of a thunderstorm. But today we're back up and running!
FYI: My Ghanaian name is "Akua" because I was born on a Wednesday (right, Mama?). I've been named by several people so far, its really sweet.
As some of you know, this week I began my volunteer work. I'm working at the Police Hospital in Accra, in the HIV/AIDS support center. I didn't know exactly what I'd be doing until the day of, but its HIV/AIDS counseling. One of the social workers, Sister Leticia, quizzed me all about HIV/AIDS and pronounced that I already knew everything and was ready to counsel people. I seriously doubt that, but it was very nice. I think she meant that I've got the basics down. The only problem is that most of the clients who come in do not speak English very well, so I haven't felt like I'm being very useful. Obviously, my Twi is not that great from one week of lessons, and many of them speak other local dialects, anyway. It's fun -- I really love the nurses, social workers and lab technicians I've met, but I don't feel like I'm really helping anyone. Good news, though: tomorrow at 9am I'm meeting with the director to see if I can help out with the Domestic Violence & Victims Support Service, in evaluating DV cases and, if necessary, preparing for and assisting at court. Its disappointing that I can't be that helpful where I'd originally wanted to work, but the idea of seeing the Ghanaian court system is pretty exciting. Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out! I think that would be simply amazing.

The hospital itself is interesting. Its run by the Ghanaian police (obviously), so there are armed men in uniform everywhere. The nurses still wear cute little hats pinned to their hair. I'll try to get a picture of one soon. Oops! I forgot to start downloading my pictures. SOrry! But you've all had Jen's to enjoy. I'm lame, I know, but I'll eventually get these up!

Today was pretty funny. One of the lab technicians, named Edem (yes, same name as my Twi teacher -- all Edem's must be great based on my extensive population sample of 2 people), took me for a "tour" of the hospital's laboratory. He seems a little crazy...I never use this word but I think the only way to describe him is "zany". He's just always jumping around and making lots of jokes and cracking up. He's pretty hilarious. Anyway, he took me along and I got to see how they test for a variety of things, including HIV, Hepatitis B, typhoid fever and malaria. I got to see what they look like under a microscope, too. I also saw, under microscope, the sperm of a sterile man (ya, weird, I know). The tour was VERY informal (i don't think they really do tours -- Edem is just crazy), we were just sort of wandering around and popping into rooms to look around. I have a feeling that in the U.S. a random temporary volunteer would never be given the access that I was allowed, and probably for good reason. No one seemed to care, though. I would just come in and they'd look me over and say something along the lines of "Hi, white girl. Where are you from? Oh, San Francisco. Maybe I visit you someday."

Its funny, health insurance plans here are called health insurance "schemes". Considering the nature of insurance companies, perhaps "scheme" is more appropriate, anyway! Here's a random word on traffic in Accra (its in my head because of my commute home): Traffic in Accra is horrific. Its exacerbated by the many, many street vendors hawking their wares. They stand in the streets, soliciting cars, with their goods in buckets balanced on their heads. At first I thought it was kinda cool, like a drive-thru that comes to you ("why, yes, I would like some chocolate, thank you") but its quickly gotten annoying because they clearly slow everything down even more. But I guess if you don't have your own store, what do you do?

Haha -- side note: a group of kids in the internet cafe are watching the movie "300" on the computer behind me. The narrator's voice is SO cheesy, I can barely stand it!

Ok, I guess that's it for now. Hopefully the next time I write I will have good news about my volunteering situation! I will try to write again soon. Miss you all! xoxo

No comments: