Monday, August 6, 2007

Hiroshima & Tokyo

Hi everyone! Yesterday Tonya and I were in Hiroshima for the 62nd anniversary of the atomic bombing. It was really amazing. It started with a short ceremony that included speeches by Japan's prime minister and the UN Secretary General. We had a really busy day, going from different lectures, readings and activities. It was pretty emotionally and physically draining, but absolutely worth it.

We took the last bullet train into Tokyo and somehow made our way to a small capsule hotel, which was really funny. Nicer than I'd expected, actually. By the way, I've gotten really into Japanese bathing -- its so nice! Very communal, lots of soaking in different types of baths or hot springs. Its really lovely.

Today we're wandering Tokyo. I like the city, its busy and interesting. Tomorrow I fly back home to San Francisco! I can't believe its almost over. This may be my last posting while I'm abroad, but when I get back I'll do another wrapping-things-up posting and upload the nearly 2 gigs of photos to Flickr. No exaggeration.

Until then!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I can't wait to see all those photos!