Friday, June 1, 2007

Hohoe

Hi everyone! By now, you probably realize that I use this blog not only to write my adventures, but also to check in and let everyone know I'm okay. Sooo...I'm okay! I worked this morning and they actually let me counsel some people by myself! It felt really good. I think I did an okay job, too. Each client was really interesting.

Side note: one of the social workers bought a huge bunch of bananas and had me eat one with roasted peanuts (which they call groundnuts here). Its the Ghanaian version of my beloved peanut butter-banana sandwiches!! This quickly replaced Red Red (plantains and black-eyed peas with some kind of red sauce stuff) as my favorite Ghanaian meal. See, they understand how brilliant the combination of banana and peanut is. Thank you, Ghana.

I didn't get to meet with the hospital director today because Gloria, the director of my placement program, insisted that she go with me in the morning, and then proceeded to take 2 hours to get ready, then run an errand....and made me really late. So I might meet with him on Monday. I am not a big fan of Gloria. I wasn't before, and today cemented that. She lives in my host family's home, too. Everyone else is great, so I guess I'm still lucky.

I left work a little early to get a head start on a 5-hour tro-tro ride up to the Volta region of Ghana to hang out with Jen. I met her at the orphanage she's working at, in a small village called Ve Deme. I met her host family and some of the kids. They're really wonderful! Then we caught another tro-tro (we're pros at this by now, I'm pretty proud) to Hohoe, the district capital. We got a room at the Grand Hotel (which is not that grand, but that's okay) and came here to feed our internet addictions. Tomorrow we're going to see a nearby waterfall that's supposed to be really great (can you tell this was a last-minute trip?) and go from there. I'm already happy because the temperatures up here are cooler than in Accra. Hrm, I guess "Hohoe" isn't the best title for this blog, since I haven't really seen much of it yet. Sorry. Too lazy to change it now.

I hope to write again tomorrow! Jen is just as internet-addicted as I am, so that shouldn't be a problem. Love to you all!

No comments: