Sunday, July 8, 2007

Airport fun

I'm in the Bangkok airport and I'm exhausted! My flight left Delhi at 12:30 am this morning and I wasn't able to sleep. I'm here on a layover between my flight to Phuket. On the plane a woman curled up to sleep and put her foot on me. Augh!! Those of you who know my foot-phobia (caused by working at a shoe store for 2 years)will understand just how horrifying this was for me.

My last day in India was really nice. The family was so sweet to me and gave me many hugs and gifts. They gave me a woven bracelet they'd gotten recently at a shrine in the Himalayas. I'm supposed to wear it until it falls off. Luckily, I really like it. Its red, my favorite color. I also have anklets on that jingle when I walk. I probably annoy everyone around me, but I think its fun!

We (the family and I) were joking that we should have many goodbye parties for me. So we had a "samosas and sweets party" at 10am yesterday -- which is exactly what it sounds like: we ate samosas and sweets. I like this kind of party. Then at 1pm we had our "beer party" where my host father, uncle and I got a bit tipsy on Kingfisher "Strong" beer and everyone else drank Fanta. No one else is allowed to drink alcohol. Of course, then I took a nap. At 7:30 I left for the airport. Sonu (one of the brothers there) has a friend who has a van taxi, so we took that. Amit and Sonu came along to see me off and decided that we would have beer in the taxi. Yes, its legal. So we have lots of fun pictures of our second "beer party" inside the taxi, which included lots of spilling.

My flight went well other than the foot thing (eek! don't want to think about it). I took Indian Airlines, which seems to not care as much as other airlines about passengers who freak out about turbulence. Also, they told us to put our seatbelts on, oh, 20 seconds before we landed on the ground in Bangkok. It was pretty funny. They also served the worlds unhealthiest meal: an egg roll (which was actually wrapped in egg -- like an omelet. a real egg roll?), a fried Indian patty thing, and a weird quiche-like cake. And ketchup. Whats the ketchup for?

Well, my internet time is running out so I'm going to wrap up and go to my gate. I'll write more in the next day or so! Thailand is nice so far..but I'll write more about that in my next post.

No comments: