Thursday, July 26, 2007

More Saigon

Yesterday I had no trouble catching the train back to Saigon from Phan Thiet. I waited in the station for about an hour with an adorable family, sharing cookies with the kids. The train wasn't bad at all: the seats recline, plenty of space. I finally got my Vietnam train ride! The views were incredible. We wound through an agricultural belt and I got to see fields of plants growing all those strange (to me) Asian fruits...I never knew what a dragonfruit tree looked like! Everything is so green and lush here. I was definitely the only Westerner on the train, but everyone was super nice to me. We can't understand each other's words, but that's not necessary for friendship, it seems.

I arrived in the Saigon station at about 7pm and got a room in a guesthouse in the backpackers area. Its not nearly as crazy and chaotic as the backpackers zone in Bangkok -- thank god! I went to the airport to pick Tonya up. Its so great to see her!!! I can't believe its been 2 years. I'm so excited. Today we fly to Hanoi and plan to go island hopping in Halong Bay for a few days. I'm really, really enjoying Vietnam.

1 comment:

ND said...

interesting journey