Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Ancient versus modern Egypt

Today I went to visit the Pyramids. I saw the 3 in Giza and then the Step Pyramid nearby in Saqqara. I walked around them a lot and went in some museums. They're really....large! It was definitely cool to see them, but the experience was pretty annoying. Its the world's biggest tourist trap. Everyone is aggressively trying to sell you something. People come up and start talking about history and you say you don't want a guide and they claim not to be a guide and then expect money at the end, even if you weren't really listening. I started just saying "NO. GO AWAY." This only worked occasionally. If you don't answer, they follow you around. One particularly annoying guy shoved a stupid stuffed toy camel practically in my face and said "Take for free." Soooo incredibly irritating. Its difficult to enjoy anything in that kind of atmosphere.

I'm really, really sick of people trying to sell me something! I still like Cairo, but I'm looking forward to going to Dubai and seeing a familiar face (Dominic). I also wanted to upload all my pictures, but the computer here is really slow...I think it would take 5 hours. Hopefully I can do that when I get to Dubai! I have some more photos from Ghana and, of course, all the ones from here in Egypt.

Tomorrow is my last day in Cairo and I just plan to hang out around the city. I don't feel like doing any more touristy stuff. Bye, everyone!

No comments: