Saturday, June 30, 2007

Circus Freak

One common theme in all the places I've visited so far is that I feel like an absolute freak. In Ghana, they stare and talk because I'm white. In Egypt, they stare and harass because I'm white and female and wearing Western clothing. On the streets here in India, its pretty much on par with Egypt. I'm getting weary of feeling like a circus freak. Yesterday evening, a tailor came by to measure me for a dress and everyone was laughing at my measurements. It was pretty obvious that's why they were laughing, but I asked my host sister, Pooja, what they were saying and she said "its just funny...your body is very different from ours. Thicker." Ouch. Not exactly something a sensitive Western woman wants to hear about her body. I am also at least 5 inches taller (and often more) than any woman I've met here. It will be nice to get back to San Francisco, where I couldn't be freakish even if I tried. **sigh**

Also, my eyebrows have been butchered by an Indian woman with a piece of thread. Well, not butchered. They're just thinner than I've ever, ever had them before. I feel like my face is naked =S I guess I should just embrace the freakishness...

No comments: