Monday, June 4, 2007

New project at Accra's Police Hospital

I was finally able to meet with the director today! He's going to have me start a project with some of his staff members to analyze the hospital's current methods of identifying and addressing domestic violence cases. He wants us to provide recommendations and a new model for the hospital to use. I'm really excited! Obviously, this will take longer than the limited amount of time I have left here, but I can at least help get the project started. I'm actually disappointed that I can't stay longer to work on the project.



The director chatted with me for a looong time about Ghanaian politics, etc. He's a really interesting guy. He complained that agencies here don't communicate with each other effectively, or sometimes even at all. Funny, that's my exact complaint with my volunteer program: no one tells me anything until its already happening! But today felt really good because I'm finally forging my own path! =)



After our discussion, I went back to the HIV/AIDS counseling office and was (again) able to counsel a number of clients all by myself (yaay). Its pretty much the perfect day here.



A huge group of new volunteers arrived last night. Some came after I went to sleep, so I haven't even met all of them. I woke up early and did my laundry (with a bucket of water, soap and a clothesline, of course) and headed to work. I'm actually starting to feel pretty comfortable here. I know my way around fairly well. I'm happy to see that I can adjust pretty easily to a place so vastly different than what I'm used to.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to take Tina (my 23-year old host sister) to the internet cafe to show her how to use a computer and open her first email account. And on Friday, I'm supposed to go out with my host sisters and some of the other locals I've befriended here. My host sisters never get any free time, so I'm very excited to hang out with them away from the house.

No comments: