Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Sad Day

Today I counseled a girl around my age and she tested positive for HIV. This isn't the first client I've had here that tested positive, but I think its affecting me more than usual today because I relate to her more, if only because of age and gender. She seemed already to be pretty weak and sick, so it may have progressed to AIDS by now. Its so incredibly sad. I don't really know what else to write about it.

On a brighter note, things at work have been going well. My boss here told me that all her colleagues (like the director, etc.) that I've met have been "very impressed" with me. Unfortunately, I'm thinking that I won't get to do much with the domestic violence project because its still caught up in administrative red tape getting started, and my last day is Friday. Hopefully incoming volunteers can take it up...I'm disappointed that I won't be able to do it, but despite that I'm still pretty satisfied with my volunteering experience here in Ghana.

I feel like I'm writing differently now, and its probably because I have to speak very slowly here and use concise, simple language in order for people to understand my accent. Obviously, I don't know enough Twi to have more than a very, very basic conversation with people. I can talk about how I am, about ducks or cassava, and my name.

Okay, I think that's all I have for today. Hope everyone is well. I'm here in Ghana until Saturday evening when I fly to Egypt. Oh! I forgot to write this: I extended my layover in Cairo since Dominic won't be in Dubai until the 14th. So I have 4 nights in Cairo. I've heard there pyramid things or something, right? Maybe I'll see those. I'm pretty excited! But I will write more before I leave. xoxo

No comments: