Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Right when I start figuring out my way around...

...its time to leave Egypt. Buuut I'm very excited to go to Dubai and see Dominic!

Today I wandered around Zamalek, which is an area on the island in the middle of the Nile. I went in search of this lead-free kohl eyeliner shop I'd read about in a magazine (silly, I know, but I wanted to see that area of Cairo, anyway). It was nearly impossible to find -- the shop has no sign (of course), but with the help of some super-nice women in a hair salon who knew where it was, I found it. Afterwards, I walked down to L'Aubergine, the only restaurant in Cairo that bills itself as vegetarian. It was excellent, but the waiter kept coming by mid-bite to ask where I was from or some other inane question. I'm not going to miss every waiter leaving their cell phone number on the check. I wish I could wear a paper bag over my entire person when I walk around here. Though that would probably get too hot. But less people would stare at a huge walking paper bag, I'm convinced.

After that I walked around a bit. I stopped by a great bookstore and got a biography of the Prophet Mohammed's life and a small Arabic phrasebook. I went to this trendy little cafe called Cilantro and drank cappuccino and read for a few hours. Then I took the long way home, through quaint little streets with lots of trees and plants, and people's pet cats and dogs running around -- animals look a lot better taken care of here than in Ghana. I get the impression more people have pets. Anyway, I had a really lovely day. And I realized I'm starting to get to know my way around here, at least in the Downtown area.

I leave early tomorrow, so my next post should be from Dubai. I'll write soon!

No comments: