Saturday, June 2, 2007

Lazy day in Hohoe

I'm having what might be my first lazy day of my entire trip, and its so nice! We (Jen and I) wanted to go see the Wli waterfall today, but it started raining this morning and now the roads are too muddy to get through. It rains a lot more in this region of Ghana. We're planning to go to the waterfall early tomorrow morning, though. I would like to see it before I go. Here's a link: http://www.bridgingdevelopment.org/expeditnpages/sites/wli.htm

Right before the rain started, the electricity went off. We stayed in our room until about 1pm (yes, I napped and it was glorious) and then ventured outside. We decided to try a different place to stay for tonight, so we headed over to the 'Taste Lodge'. I was instantly so much happier! The people are much friendlier, there's lots of fun, loud music playing and the room, oh, the room!! We have our own shower, toilet and sink with running water! And an air conditioner and a fan! And a small TV! All for $15 total for the 2 of us. I'm in heaven.

Hohoe is very near the border with Togo, so all the keyboards here are French. I find if I don't look at the keyboard, I'm less confused by it. Walking through town, we can also hear a lot of French on radios, etc. The kids at Jen's orphanage learn Ewe, Twi, English and French. I have a feeling children in school here work a lot harder than in the U.S. They also carry crocodile machetes. Scary.

So our plans for the day include...a lot of nothing. And that sounds just perfect! Hopefully I'll be able to post again tomorrow when I get back to Accra. If the power is off tomorrow, then I'll post on Monday instead. xoxo

No comments: